New D3200, wait for D7100?

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
It really doesn't matter any longer
In reply to herbymel, Apr 26, 2012

Based on IQ alone as shown in the DPR samples I'd say we're at a draw these days between models. I'm not speaking about frame rate, weatherability, certain other pro features, just base image quality. The flesh tone in the D3200 shots is amazing and perhaps as good as the D3 just a few years ago. So Boys and girls, it appears to me that the pixel wars may be over. Time to discuss what you really need in a camera and here's a clue: it AIN'T PIXEL COUNT. It's actually ridiculous that an entry level cam is coming out with that much resolution. God bless them but the average soccer mom or pet enthusiast just doesn't need that much resolution to post to Facebook or send Granny an email attachment. It's just marketing hype in a beginner camera because 99% of all beginners don't even understand what it means to have a 24mp sensor.

And by the way, would some of you pa-leeze stop referring to RAW as some sort of holy graille? It is what it is, an unprocessed image, a digital negative; not a BETTER image. Any experienced shooter can see all he/she needs by looking at a properly exposed jpeg. Some like me would argue that's a better test of a camera anyway. RAWs all aboutPTAst processing. Jpegs are all about the camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow