About to buy my first DSLR camera, but which one?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AeroSpaceJam
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
About to buy my first DSLR camera, but which one?
Apr 26, 2012

First time post here. I've always enjoyed photography with compact digital cameras and have wanted to get a DSLR for quite some time now and just decided recently to finally do it. However I am really struggling to decide which camera to purchase.

The new Nikon D3200 sounds very intriguing but with no reviews on it yet I am hesitant. On the otherhand, the D5100 seems like a better camera in some ways and is about the same price. I even found this combo deal on a refurbished one which sounds pretty good, although I don't know how I feel about getting a refurbished camera: http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Demo-62377.cfm

An advantage of the D3200 which I feel is good is that it's possibly geared towards beginners like me a bit more than the D5100. However I've seen a bunch of people online complain over its lack of auto-bracketing, which is something the D5100 does have. Is this something that should sway my decision?

I'm really torn between these two cameras so any help would be much appreciated!

AeroSpaceJam's gear list:AeroSpaceJam's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Nikon D3200 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow