NEX-7 with MF *SLR* lenses - how does it go?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
NEX-7 with MF *SLR* lenses - how does it go?
Apr 26, 2012

Most of the legacy MF lenses that folks seem to be using on the NEXs are RF lenses which is fair enough as they're much more compact, have a shorter flange focal distance, etc., but from what I've read and seen in samples, the 16MP chip in the C-3/5N appears to be much more tolerant of the ray angles from RF lenses than the 24MP sensor in the NEX-7.

My question is this: is there anyone who has used a range of legacy (i.e. not Sony AF lenses with the adapter) SLR lenses on the NEX-7, and if so, how did they perform?

I greatly prefer the NEX-7's form factor with the built-in high-res EVF to the other models; the extra sensor resolution is nice but for my purposes not a big deal. I have a collection of Minolta MC/MD lenses (24, 28, 35, 45, 50 and 85) and a Novoflex NEX-MIN adapter (long story), but the NEX-7 body is more than twice the price of a NEX-5 body, which if it works with RF lenses is sure to work with SLR lenses, but I'm not a fan of the handling or lack of a built-in EVF. If the -7 works well with retrofocus SLR glass then it would probably be worth it (for me) but over a grand is a lot of money for an experiment.

If someone could shed some light (so to speak) on how the -7 performs with SLR lenses (also from a manual-focus usability point of view) I'd sure appreciate it. If the results are similar to those from RF lenses then my adapter may be going on ebay...

TIA,
Scott

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow