Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Reese
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Lens Sharpness on A77 - Sony 1680Z, Tamron 70-300 USD, Tokina 11-16
Apr 26, 2012

Just got my new set of lenses in so I'm putting them through the paces. This thread will examine each lens side-by-side at equivalent f-stops and will also test a new cheap filter I'm trying. FYI these have all been taken on my Sony A77 and downsized for upload.

First off, the lenses:

Sony SAL-1680Z 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T DT

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SP Di USD XLD

Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-16mm f/2.8 Asph.

The filter I'm testing is an ultra-cheap RainbowImaging Pro1D. I had done some reading and heard several indications that these were rebranded Hoya filters, so I thought I'd give them a shot. The filter itself clearly is multicoated (you can see the coating), and you can judge the results yourself below. As far as I can see there's no decrease in image quaility with the filter on and off.

So now to the photos!

My initial thoughts are that the filter doesn't seem to make a difference, and the CZ looks great in the center at all f-stops, but is very soft at the edges unless you stop down. f/5.6 and f/8 look outstanding! And now for the Tamron 70-300...

It looks like this lens is much sharper in the edges and corners wide open, and comparably sharp in the center when stopped down. Although I think I prefer the CZ's color rendition. Finally the Tokina...

Again, nice and sharp when stopped down and the corners are better than the CZ. Hope this helps anyone else out there looking for these combos. Let me know what you guys think!

Phil Reese's gear list:Phil Reese's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow