Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rmarko
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
The Other Side of Depth of Field
Apr 25, 2012

Most of the time, the increased Depth of Field (focus) when using m43 is referred to as a negative, as it is not as effective in isolating a subject as a full frame camera/fast lens combo. Seldom, is is the increased DOF of the m43 recognized as a positive.

In many environmental portrait situations that I encounter, the DOF of my Full Frame Nikons, at maximum aperture, is to shallow to keep both eyes (or at least the full mask of the face) in sharp focus. At the same time, the volume of available light is screaming for max aperture. Here is a situation where the smaller sensor of the m43 can become an advantage. Using the Oly 45mm f1.8 or the PanLeica 25mm f1.4 at their maximum apertures, I can utilize existing light, keep the mask of the face fully focused, maintain a decent ISO and blur the background enough to separate the subject and eliminate distractions. All this with smaller and much lighter equipment. I would suggest the same foundation holds true for many macro situations.

Just turning a negative to a positive ... or, another way to look at it.
--
rmarko

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow