Decisions, Decisions: NEX-7 vs. Oly OMD E-M5:

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,311Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR samples show: NEX-7 and 5N vs. Oly OMD E-M5:
In reply to jljonathan, Apr 25, 2012

personally I think the detail in the face in my post for the nex-7 shows a great deal more detail than than the other three cameras - look at the vertical lines on the forehead and under the right eye - - you can see them to a degree in the NEX-5n sample, but they arent even there in the OM-D sample

as to noise from the RAW samples you have to account for the larger size of the NEX-7 files - sure viewing at 100% they might not look as good as the 5n or the OMD, but if you print them at the same size the pixels from the NEX-7 will be spread out over a smaller area and the difference will go away

remember on the long side the NEX-7 has 6000 pixels and the OM-d has 4608. If you print your OM-D shot at 25 inches wide you get 184.32 pixels per inch. If you print at 25 inches wide with the NEX-7 your pixels will be much more tightly spaced at 240 pixels per inch and noise will be much less on an issue.

the OM-D can never have the resolution that the NEX-7 has - - more pixels = more resolution so long as the lens also has the ability to resolve it

jljonathan wrote:

Even in your jpeg samples, the OMD has the resolution of the 5N and 7; it's very close between them. But, check out the raws at higher iso and you will see what I mean.

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow