Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Neutral Density Filter 101?
Apr 25, 2012

I'm interested in learning more about Neutral Density filter use. I've read enough to know what some of the effects of ND filters are, and how they can be used, but I would like to know more about these filters from users in this forum.

I've never used an ND filter, but I would like to begin using them to adjust my depth of field in good light. I'm also interested playing with the more severe effects that can be accomplished using black glass.

I would love to hear from someone who knows how to get the best results from these filters, and if there are any particular advantages/disadvantages to using them on a mirrorless camera. Is there a way to develop the exposure via live view, etc.

For a beginner with ND filters, what filter intensities should I start with? What about for motion blur? Is it more challenging to start with a 10-stop ND filter than a lower value?

Lastly, I typically don't carry a tripod with me - what would be the highest level of ND filter one can use hand-held? Or do I need to bite the bullet and use a tripod?

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow