3 Nikkor lenses to satisfy any level of expertise

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,116
Like?
Re: 3 Nikkor lenses to satisfy any level of expertise
In reply to Dennis, Apr 25, 2012

Dennis wrote:

I don't get this concept. Avoiding DX lenses and going with FX lenses for "future proofing" suggests that you basically don't care what focal lengths you shoot.

These lenses give you 43/75/127 FOV on APS-C and, obviously, 28/50/85 on FF.

I agree, but if a person uses both formats of camera, the flexibility is attractive. The biggest draw for me to get a FF camera (aside from general improvements and to get that nice big VF) is the fact that all my lenses will now become even more flexible in their range.

Personally, I find value in using both primes and zooms, for a multitude of reasons (none of them being blind dogma about one or the other being better or more pure.)

To me, being able to go out with my 35-70 and 70-200 zooms, plus a DX and FX body means that I can either overlap the zoom range (35-70 on the FX, 70-200 on DX) to get optimal control over a situation within a relatively small focal range, or I could switch and use the 35-70 on the FX and the 70-200 on the DX. Then I would have an extended overall range for more flexibility in changing conditions.

The primes would offer this flexibility too, although when I am shooting with primes I usually am not doing it for flexibility.

-Suntan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow