Ballhead recommendation-- RRS BH-55?

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
Re: Markins is not hard to find
In reply to tyyreaun, Apr 25, 2012

As an earlier post indicated, the BH-55 is the head most often seen in use by photographers who seem to be serious. I was an early adopter when spec'ing gear where I worked a few years ago. Later, I updated my own kit by replacing a Foba Superball with a BH-55. I've also owned an Acratech head on a lightweight Gitzo.

I have no trouble with the BH-55 shifting on lock-down, which is a huge relief after many years with the Superball. I don't own any large glass but am amazed that a head as small and light as the RRS can support the loads for which it is rated.

I use a RRS lever clamp and L plate. The only issue I have with the lever clamp is that I have to hold my cable release out of the way when switching to portrait orientation. Would not dream of using any camera if flopped mode.

Denis
--

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow