OMD now on DPreview's studio scene comparison

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 4,229
Like?
Re: OMD now on DPreview's studio scene comparison
In reply to Anders W, Apr 25, 2012

Anders W wrote:

...shutter speeds used by DPR for the two cameras. First, these speeds are clearly irrelevant if we talk simply about the signal levels in the two files, as Detail Man does in the passage quoted above. They are also irrelevant for the purpose of indirectly trying to determine how much light the two cameras were effectively given since, as reported by Andy Westlake, the lighting conditions for the studio samples are not strictly controlled and may vary from one camera to another.

As far as I can tell the difference in shutter speed corresponds more or less to the difference in gain/amplification (reported to be equivalent to ISO 120 at ISO 200 setting, shutter difference correspond to ca. ISO 130). So any difference on top of that is very likely different light levels in the studio setup (using the new dimmer).

Second, what I have said above should not be taken to mean that I am out to defend DPR or that I am personally convinced that the studio samples for the two cameras at issue are indeed fully comparable. Rather, what I have said should only be taken to mean that my factual basis for considering the comparability issue differs from that of Detail Man.

I'm cool with that. Both you and Detail Man pointed out a likely "disadvantage" of the E-M5 studio samples and since I am the one who keeps using those as a basis for comparison (or rather corrects the worse basis coming straight from the comparison tool) I thought that I should take DM's last quote from the other thread (hit 150) and put it in context.

My lack of experience with the number crunching doesn't allow me to judge who got the right number, but what's important to know is that even when exposure seems to be equal in DPR/my comparison the E-M5 may do better when its given the same light as the other cameras got. In practice the RickAstro comparison suggest not more than 1 stop difference to the GH2, but also not much less.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow