Just cancelled Amazon D800 and closed my Amazon account

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
kwtse
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
Re: Just cancelled Amazon D800 and closed my Amazon account
In reply to cwmartin, Apr 25, 2012

I can tell you a real story in Hong Kong.

When Apple started selling iPad 2 about a year ago, the demand was so high that the price of iPad 2 went sky high above the official price. So some salesmen of at least a large shop chain short-circuited the system so that their friends could get a hand on the products earlier than others. Their friends paid at the official price and then sold them for a very handsome profit.

People complained about this and eventually investigation was conducted and some people were charged and convicted of bribery crimes.

http://micgadget.com/12821/500-ipad-2s-seized-and-multiple-suspects-arrested-for-bribery/

Now at least one big chain store introduced new practice. When you order a product which are (or predicted to be) in high demand and short supply, you would be put into a common queue independent from which branch you placed your order at. All the salesmen can see the queue. You can ask at any branch what is your current position in the queue. You are still not sure when you can get the product because the shop does not actually know the exact date of the next shipment and how many units it can get from that shipment. I would not say that all "weird" things were 100% eliminated but at least the situation is much improved.

cwmartin wrote:

RANT ALERT:

In this day of computers and ERP systems software, there is no excuse not to be able to tell a customer where their order is in a queue.

kwtse's gear list:kwtse's gear list
Pentax Optio RZ18
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow