Switching from a 5D2 to D800 feels like getting out of jail

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882
Like?
Re: Do you actually have a D800 yet?
In reply to BackInTheGame, Apr 25, 2012

On paper the 7d, 5DII and III look really good and the price of the 5DII was its main selling point but in practice there have been some consistent problems from model to model. By many accounts the 5DIII is supposed to have tamed the AF dragons but they also said that with each new model for several years, each one having a different AF system.

One thing that has not improved based on many posted images are artifacts, shadow noise and banding. That last one is the serious flaw that someone has to be pretty defensive about their investment not to see it.

After shooting 20 years with Canon(A-1 which I still think was a wonderful camera, rugged and flexible, state of the art 1979) when I went to Digital I gave Canon the first shot at getting my business but the feel alone was enough to turn me off. The models I could afford felt like flimsy plastic and not confidence inspiring at all. I ended up with Nikon, a D90 plus grip. Later, after 80,000 shots without ANY non-user induced problems, added a D7000. I had collected some serious lenses in the meantime. Now, I am visiting back home in the US hoping to find a D800 during my 3 week stay.

During a layover in London, I visited a camera store which had open display of Nikon and Canon next to each other. They had even a D3s out for anyone to pickup and try, had not seen that before, usually if a store has one at all it is in a display case. They had no D800 but had D700 and 5DII and 5DIII. That was the first time I have seen a 5DIII in the flesh and it left the same plastic impression of being built to a price point and not to the task. It might be very rugged, but it just feels cheap. They wanted 3000pounds for a D3s which did not sound too bad considering the outrageous prices Nikon sells for in the UK.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow