ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
D800 - Left AF isuue - Update
Apr 25, 2012

Hi,

Three weeks of testing and fine tunning and I came to the conclusion the best thing to do would be sending the camera back to Nikon.

I made fine tune adjustments and at -20, I could accept the results with my 14-24 2.8 but I tried to adjust my 24-70 2.8 and there was no way to get a properly focused picture at about 50mmm focal lenght using left AF.

IMHO, charts and focus a close range rendered pointless, everyday I was convinced that I had nailed it but I was way far from it, real targets farther than 10 metres were always out of focus, the camera kept focusing somewhere else more to the right AF side.

Grabbed my 17" laptop, camera, lenses and photos taken with left, centre and right AF and fine tune adjustments from +20 to -20 and off I went to Nikon.

There they saw the pics and they tried live view, they said if pics taken in LV are propely focused and sharp the problem is not with the lenses. but with the camera.

More, I was told that probably the cause of the Left AF issue with my camera is the misaligned AF mirror as the AF light hits the AF Mirror and then the focus sensor.

I came home and found this on the web to help me understand the problem:

Asked if this is batch related or if Nikon aknowledges this as an issue with many cameras but only got a very polite smile.

As you can see the camera is in and it will take 3 to 5 working days to have it back.

Just sharing. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow