ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wintergreen
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Me and my X100, 2 months later...
Apr 25, 2012

Hello all,

After using my X100 for 2 months, I feel it's time for a 2nd review after a few 1000 shots and the one I posted when I got it. And it’s going to be more a review of the photograph than the camera.

The X100 is pretty well known now so I won’t go over the obvious “+” and “-“ of this camera because you all know them. I would just say that, IMO, the “+” far out weight the “-“. Even more so that now, after all the firmware updates …
Oh and my aperture blades are all good, thank you very much!

The reasons I wanted to do this new review, is to highlight the most important trait of this camera that can be very limitative and that I hadn’t fully measured at the time, the fix 23mm lense:

What’s wrong with it?

Nothing, it’s certainly a good lense that works well with the sensor and produce great results (image quality is very impressive to me) but, obviously, you cannot change it and it’s a 35mm equivalent (nothing wrong with that, it’s just a fact). This means that you have to like the 35 to like the camera, if not, it’ll frustrate you. And I fear it’s my case, because I don’t really feel at home with it and Street photography is not my thing. I just don’t like shooting old ladies feeding pigeons, people I don’t know and water hydrants…

And on the other hand, this camera is all pleasure: tactile and communicative, reactive (yes, if you know how to exploit the AF it’s reactive) and ergonomic. It’s the sexiest camera out there, may not feel like much, but pointing this metallic thing in the head of somebody will never frighten him or her but compel them to pose and play the game with you (I’ve seen it, and in Paris it’s surprising, Parisian are ill tempered). So it’s a real quality for a camera because it puts you in a position to take great shots. But for that you’ve got to like the 35mm…

So you see it’s a love and hate situation with this camera, because as much as you want to hate it, the moment you pick it up, it’s all forgotten…

So, what I mean to say with this review is that you need to know what a 35mm length is good for, because you will be stuck with it. If not, you must be very careful when buying it, because as good as it is, you may feel a bit lost with it in the streets.

It’s not really a review, it’s more an opinion I guess…

Wintergreen's gear list:Wintergreen's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow