D800 HANG "What" SD cards are you using ?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
Primary: Sandisk 64gb 95mb/s SD, Sandisk 16gb 90mb/s CF
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Apr 25, 2012

My config:
Primary: Sandisk 64gb 95mb/s SD, Sandisk 16gb 90mb/s CF

I always use the 64gb SD as my Primary (larger) ... and use the 16gb for backup or overflow , or turn OFF (or out) ... and I will still get a HANG.

The only cards I have kept are the Sandisk Extreme PRO CF cards at 90mb/s , and I only have one SD card , the 64gb new one.

• It takes me about 100 shots ... it's not like it happens right after I start shooting.

• always Format both cards before a shoot.

• My D800 s/n 3002xxx

• I have my D800 set up for Auto Review after each shot ... 10 sec ... the way I figure it , then I start to shoot (half press) it turns off the Review on the LCD. And if I want to turn it off early I tap the Shutter.

Still have not figured out EXACTLY what I am doing when it happens. So, I know if it is the SAME thing I am doing each time.

Have sat in my office with the D800 , Shooting ALL Kinds of ways ...

Max frames per sec. , Single shot quickly, Shoot review+ Shoot review very quickly, Shoot + then Quickly shoot again before the image is up , or when it just comes up. = NADA ... I cannot duplicate the HANG at all. EVER !

But, here is the sad part. My friend ... a Wedding shooter ... also has a D800 . he has Slower and Cheaper Kingston cards in both slots ... and he has NEVER had a hang yet. And it's not like he does not have to shoot fast. and he shoots a lot. He probably takes more shots in a given situation vs myself. and he uses max frames per second shooting more than I do.

Of course he might have said that he has Never had a Hang, "just" to irritate me. LOL But, I am pretty confident he would email me if it happens to him.
His s/n number is also After mine. in the high 3003xxx

In a few weeks I will be on a sports shoot where I will NOT be using my own Cards. They are slower than mine (always) , and I will be shooting a lot. Will bring out my D800 for a test. Will see if the issue comes up on the slower cards.

Hope this helps add to the information to solve this issue.

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow