DxO Admits Flaw(s) in Testing Methods?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
drwho9437
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
Gulf of difference between senors and lenses
In reply to JohnnyBlood, Apr 25, 2012

Lenses require good alignment of pretty big objects to pretty small tolerances in a big thing that has them all moving around. Bad alignment of the optical axis can make a good lens design terrible.

Sensors aren't like that. Transistors and diodes on an industrially processed scale generally work or they don't work. You can't make CMOS chips with millions of transistors if you don't have amazing yield on the per device level.

So basically the idea that all of DxO's tests are bad is silly.

Canon has a clear design choice in their sensors that gives them all similar SNR characteristics. By the clearly stated measures that DxO uses Nikon/Sony sensors are currently just a lot better.

Now if the metrics that DxO uses matter much to your shooting depends on how you shoot, if you shoot JPG having more than 8 bit of tonal range is useless for instance.

What is sad about DxO like DPR here is people get very hung up on the conclusion rather than the data. DxO gives wonderful data on sensors, how that data is relevant to your photography depends on how you want to process the sensor data.

I frankly find the obsession here with IQ comical. Most people, myself included will never take a photograph that was a made or broken as a photograph because of IQ. Sure the photograph might be better or worse, but what is photography for in the end? Is my photograph so important to be perfect or as close to perfect as I can or is it about having fun shooting and remembering places and things and showing them to others? Will someone say: ha look at the shadow detail your sisters wedding was lame, or will they remember that moment for the person in the photo?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbryce/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow