Fuji vs Nikon Superzooms

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
rhtK7
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: More comparison shots with HS30, X-S1 and P510
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 24, 2012

alexisgreat wrote:

Ron, how good is the IS on your HS30? I find that with the HS20 I get 3.5 stops of stabilization, as I have done moonshots with 1/60 sec shutter speed at the tele end and they came out quite sharp. I've also done 105mm interior shots at 1/10 sec shutter speed (also approximately 3.5 stops of stabilization) and they came out fine also.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

Alex,

I've never done any real testing of IS on cameras, to quantify the benefit. My cursory observation would be that the X-S1 and HS30 are similar, but the P510 is considerably better. Just yesterday I tried taking a shot of my "target" which is outside about 50 feet from the window. It was cloudy and around 5:00 pm, so not very bright. I tried the HS30 and P510. At ISO 800, I could not get any kind of reasonable shot with the HS30, while with the P510 I got a clear shot. Other experiences between the two were similar in brighter conditions but lower ISO, trying to shoot ducks (photographically!) at fairly long FL's. I'd rate the HS30 as "okay", but I'm afraid the P510 is just plain superior. Again, I wish it wasn't this way, as I do not like most of the controls/EVF/size/zoom control on the P510 as compared to the fuji's. I'm really bummed that the P510 does so well at IQ etc. compared to the fuji's, as I really love the ergonomics of the fuji's, particularly the size etc. of the HS30. But in the end, to me, IQ is the thing.

Ron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow