What does "not noticeably" mean?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
BillyGoatGruff
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
A reasonable solution from Canon would be....
In reply to Marcos Villaroman, Apr 24, 2012

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Ghozer wrote:

It also says that:

" Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service."

This sounds like a voluntary recall to me.

I agree. It does sound like a voluntary recall. I do expect Canon to honor fixing this problem for free well after the one year warranty expires.

Consider the 5D classic's mirror issue. Canon didn't make it a requirement to fix the mirror; you had to take the action to send it in.

In my case, I had an old Canon S1 P&S with a known defect. When it finally died, Canon replaced it with a refurbished S5 for free over five years after I bought it.

I can see a legitimate question about under what conditions the issue may show up. I wish Canon would provide more information --- perhaps someone should just ask Canon for more info and post what they hear.

From what's been posted plus my own quick tests, I'm thinking Canon believes this issue to be so insignificant, it isn't worth the cost to fix every camera out there --- especially if something like 99.999999% of the users will never notice it. Providing information on the impacted serial numbers and offering a free inspection seems to be more than sufficient response to me.

As for the $3500 means the camera should be perfect. Nope; I disagree. A lot of the pricing on all these products are based on what the customer is willing to spend more so than relative worth to cheaper products. But, as a buyer, you should always decide for yourself. Return the camera if the issues bother you and in general avoid being an early adopter.

A reasonable solution from Canon would be to replace, with a brand-new properly-manufactured unit, defective units sent in by customers for the defect.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow