Important:En-el 15 battery warning from Nikon.

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
This Is Why (Generics--Re: Important:En-el 15 battery warning from Nikon.)
In reply to cfh25, Apr 24, 2012

This is why I really wish the generic manufacturers would've been able to loophole around the "smart technology" by now.

Someone via email justified Nikon trying (successfully, so far, in the case of the EN-EL15) to prevent 3rd party manufacturers from being able to offer cheap $10 batteries--because they might explode & Nikon doesn't want that to happen, thinking that so long as THEY make the batteries it will be fine. Turns out that was not the case, apparently.

(Ok, at least maybe they have OWNED the problem, I will give them that.)

I'm told Panasonic also tends to push "smart battery" technology to lock-out 3rd party replacements, and this is something I don't get. I'm noticing even some recent Android smartphones now have sealed-in batteries. What is with companies acting as if customers having spare batteries they buy themselves is akin to selling "bongs" for someone to take hits of drugs with?

It makes also feel even more content with my Nikon D5100 purchase (yes, I had to buy "genuine" batteries for it too, luckily I found them for $30 each), vs going for the D7000. Whenever I use it, I still can't get over how good it is. Though it's not as feature-packed as the D7000, it has the same image quality in a smaller, less expensive package--and it still has more features than the bottom-line D3100 or D3200 etc. I have found it to actually be a solid upgrade over the D5000 I had been using, and it makes me die-laughing seeing the prices of second-hand D90's going up. (They used to be $500, sometimes even $450, now I see them going for $600 or even $700 at times, now that it's an OLDER camera. That makes NO sense to me.)

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow