ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Own E-PL1, Considering E-PL2, Questions
Apr 24, 2012

Overview

I have owned the E-PL1 kit for about 2-3 months now. I upgraded the "original" 14-42 to the 14-42 II R, even though I didn't notice any issues with "lens wobble" effecting photo with the original. I shoot in aperture-priority mode almost all the time.

I'm considering upgrading to the E-PL2 for the command dial vs button-pressing setup, the larger LCD, and the greater ability to customize the buttons. (I'd like to be able to have a "hot button" for ISO and to redefine the flash and drive buttons, as I find myself pressing it accidentally when I almost NEVER use them.)

Questions :

1. The command dial , I assume it is a much better way of "shifting the numbers" (f-stop/shutter speed combination) than the E-PL1 buttons? In the readings I've done, some say it's much better than the E-PL1 buttons, other say it's very "fiddly" & try before you buy

2. The 3" LCD vs 2.7" --obviously it's bigger & higher resolution. How is the outdoor brightness vs the E-PL1?

3. Battery --I assume the BLS-1 of my E-PL1 will not work with the E-PL2, which uses BLS-5? I ask because I have a BUNCH of spare batteries/chargers with my E-PL1

Lastly, I assume image quality is identical between the two?

(PS--this is the 2nd time I've owned this model, I had noticed the "lens wobble" issue the 1st time around & sold it, but decided to try again--glad I did, I've enjoyed the heck out of this thing. I find the 14-42 II R to be MUCH better not only in terms of how I KNOW there won't be any "lens wobble," but with how much smoother it operates and how much faster it focuses.)

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow