pocket wizards

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,980Gear list
Like?
Re: pocket wizards
In reply to Shane Poole, Apr 24, 2012

As a full-time event pro, I highly recommend Phottix Strato radio slaves. I bought three sets of the original Strato model about a year ago, and I'm totally sold on them. At $83 per set for the Strato and $98 per set for the Strato II, they're a bargain. The Strato has 4 channels, and the Strato II adds 4 groups as well. Unlike the new PocketWizard Mini/Flex and some other units out there, these are dumb triggers - they do not pass TTL info to the remote flash. So, the remote operates only on manual or built-in auto mode. The transmitter's hotshoe does, though, pass through the TTL signal from the camera below it to the flash on top of it. So the on-camera flash can still operate TTL. And, a remote flash can be awakened from sleep. I've used mine up to 150' apart in large event halls. In a year of regular use, mine have never misfired or failed to fire.

Here's what I like

1. They're cheap.
2. They're compact.
3. They take AAA batteries.
4. They feel well-made.
5. The transmitter has a metal foot.
6. The transmitter and receiver both have a hotshoe on top.
7. The on-camera flash (on the transmitter) can still operate TTL.
8. The remote flash can be remotely awakened from sleep.
9. They can trigger 1 of 4 channels, or all 4 at once.
10. Good range.
11. Great reliability.

I bought mine direct from Phottix' online store. In the US, they're also available from Adorama in New York.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow