Moving to FX, start with 28-300?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Snodayz
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
No , there are better options.
In reply to abhijitsarkar, Apr 24, 2012

If you are considering a D700 or D800 then I assume ultimate image quality must be pretty high on your agenda. While long zooms are "do it all lenses", they just don't hold a candle to a good prime or one of the f2.8 zooms that Nikon produces. From what I can deduce from your post I'd look at the 24 - 70mm f2.8 lens as your first purchase. It's a very high quality lens with a modest zoom range that will do justice to either of the cameras you're interested in. If you could resist the zoom option for a while then the 35mm f1.4 prime is a blinder and will give you lots to play with on either of these cameras. If you've come from a background of long or kit zooms then you mightn't realise just how flexible these lenses are - but rather than focal length flexibility they provide light flexibility. And isn't light what it's all about?

Snodayz's gear list:Snodayz's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow