Quandary

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,029Gear list
Like?
Re: Quandary
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Apr 24, 2012

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I have been offered a D800 this week but I have since changed my mind since ordering to the E model.

There isn't a lot of difference between the 2. I can also replace the OLPF later on using MaxMax or do it myself (I have modified DSLRs before).

I suspect this type of conversion would be even sharper than the E model as there must be some residual effect of the modified AA filter as opposed to actually no AA filter.

The difference between a modded 5d3 and standard is large, same with earlier Nikon models.

I wouldn't do that mod though until after the warranty was up.

The outlook for an E model is up in the air and probably not for a while.

I intend using the camera for landscapes, family shots, family videos, a bit of astrophotography - mostly nighttime time lapse (Milky Way is up now in the southern hemisphere). AA filter makes no difference to astrophotography.

What would you do?

Greg

Perhaps the supply position of the 800e is in the stars! If you are thinking of the ultimate sharpness machine, perhaps an 800 with the filter removed will be better than the 800e with its dual system. It may also not be so easy to convert a 800e. MaxMax may have an opinion on that.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow