jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,329Gear list
Like?
Re: No doubt, the potential is there
In reply to rhtK7, Apr 24, 2012

rhtK7 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

Ron, I would rank the P510 in image quality first for colors and detail, the HS30 second and the X-S1 third, based on this pics. I loved the detail in the tree and the eagle and the sky colors in the Nikon the most. It's too bad it doesn't have a RAW option and a lens threaded for filters, but it obviously has the best lens of the bunch. Something Nikon knows how to do right. I wish Fuji would start putting 4 ED elements in their lenses! I dont mind small cameras, I actually prefer them.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

I would rank it the other way..

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6176/eaglecomparison.jpg

Considering the lesser light, higher ISO and shorter FL of the X-S1 + RAW support, IMHO it is the best here.

Considering shorter FL and RAW support, HS30 would be the 2nd coz that blown highlight could easily be recovered and more detail can be extracted.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Joms,

You're no doubt a better man than I, if you can do much better than the OOC jpegs using raw and Silkypix. I use ACDsee, and it does not as of yet support either the X-S1 or HS30. My attempts at using Silkypix have not yielded results any better (and often worse) than the OOC jpegs. I wish I could do better, as for the last 5 years I've shot only raw on my Pentax K5, and it did indeed yield significant benefits. Given the jpegs, I still firmly rank them P510 first, HS30 second, X-S1 third. I wish it wasn't so, as the two fuji's are much easier and more fun to shoot with.

Ron Till

I wouldn't say I am better but have a look at what RAW has to offer to you

JPEG vs RAW (Developed using Silkypix)

P510 does look like to be better in base ISO because of the longer reach but try it using higher ISO and less ideal light, for sure it will struggle. HS30 and X-S1 are definitely better in that department. If you haven't yet, please set the NR and Sharpness settings to low on those Fuji cams. If you can provide the RAW files, I will be more than happy to PP it and show you the potential you are missing.

See these ISO-800 shots

P510

HS30

That's just JPEG. If that HS30 was taken using RAW and PP, P510 will be left behind by miles IMHO.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow