OM-D, fantastic features, horrible handling ??

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Then get the grip
In reply to Wellington100, Apr 23, 2012

The OP's experience and all the detail comments are exactly what I have thought and commented about, more than once, before, even without ever holding the camera in my fairly small hands.

There are many who disagree and many owners who have "no problem" BUT those who have got the optional grip told us who that transforms the camera and provided a wonderful hold, which can only mean that all the denials and the willingness to work around the issues with this small camera are showing not the whole truth. It is easy to forgive when everything else is fantastic. Still, it is such a pity that a great camera is flawed in this manner.

Wait for an independently made and bigger stick-on grip for this camera. Use the index finger for turning the rear dial. Remove the triangular links and use a strap with thin loops at the end, exercise the thumb using a springy grip thing to strength the muscle there to avoid cramps, learn to hold the camera the old SLR way, i.e. with the left palm turn upward to hold the lens barrel and base of camera, supporting the weight of the camera especially with shooting at waist level. These are all work-arounds and could have been improved if we could have the original OM1 dimensions. That would also provide space for more buttons or bigger buttons and dials. I hope the E-M6 will be bigger, or there will be a pro version that is bigger. And, it is not just about $300, as the grip means more inconvenience, attaching or accessing the card door or battery etc. Something like a slimmer version of this grip (without battery) could have been integrated in the body, built in, to avoid any access problem and to provide the space.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow