Could the OMD change your mind about Olympus?

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
Re: Could the OMD change your mind about Olympus?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 23, 2012

What I found out is that a 4/3 system really needs ND filters to block excess light when trying to prolong exposure, because stopping down is such a bad idea. On E-PL1 with its kit lens I have only two usable apertures for landscape: f/5.6 and f/8, and that is very limiting when you need to get the right exposure for blurred water. 35mm format is much more flexible, you get very usable stuff from f/5.6 to f/16, and even up to f/22 the diffraction isn't nearly as bad as one would think.

Of course, on 4/3 you would have faster lenses so you would start at f/4 and go up to f/11 where it's game over, but I really hate those f/5.6 zooms, and I won't even start about that f/6.3 motorized thing that goes in OM-D kit. It's a black hole that eats light and turns it into darkness.

I learned to compensate for the dark kit zoom by adapting a legacy 50mm f/1.7, which is quite good from f/2.8, but I don't really see an m4/3 equivalent for Zuiko 14-54, which is just right.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow