How to check for sharp images in the field?

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,713Gear list
Like?
How to check for sharp images in the field?
Apr 23, 2012

I swear that my images are getting less sharp the longer I shoot. But I'm pretty sure it's not my gear: as I still manage some razor sharp ones every so often. Anyway, how can I tell, when in the field, if my results are SHARP? The T1i's LCD makes every shot look spot on. I just got back from using my 70-200/4 IS USM lens with only about 20% sharp(by my standards---which, in this case is being able to see fur detail on whitetail deer). When I came home, and checked my results on the computer, and at 1:1, not so great. By the way, is the "1:1" enlargement, 100% larger?

I checked the EXIF data on the somewhat blurrier shots and they were set to f8 and ISO400. The shutter speeds, however, were 1/80 to around 1/180 on most. Obviously rather slow, maybe even with the IS on. No tripod, but resting on car window(this was a 'drive-by' shooting opportunity). But, how do I know this when I'm shooting? If I knew this when there, I would have altered the settings to try and fix things.

I was about to ditch my MFT gear for the same reason. Only in it's case, it's more likely that it might be the gear.
I'm getting a bit discouraged. Can you help?

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow