S100 review: The best camera I have ever used. (considering form factor)

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
d3xmeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,363Gear list
Like?
Re: S100 review: The best camera I have ever used. (considering form factor)
In reply to Polyglot92, Apr 23, 2012

@Polyglot92

Yes I can say that they are exceptions, plus hard work in PP, plus some flaws hidden by the low res files on flickr.

Now my wife is using the S90, it is set to RAW and I PP the files in Aperture.

So many files are missfocused, although I can see clearly from the exif that the S90 locked focus on the subject, in face detection or in center focus, but when you look at the photos usualy the far background or the close foreground are in focus, not the subject.

Just like I did when I was using it, I told her to take 4-5 shots of the same subject, and usualy one is in proper focus. I can tell you for sure it's not user error, the camera just reports focus locked on the subject but it is not in focus. The S100 does not do that.

Also we get so many blurry photos even at very high SS, like 1/1000 or faster. I tried IS ON and OFF and still get quite a lot blurry photos.

What I can clearly see is that at any setting, the lens is very soft at farther focusing distance, but is is reasonably sharp at close focus. If you focus at infinity, at any setting the photo in just unusable, is that bad.

We also get strange color shifts sometimes depending on the light we shoot in. Sometimes the colors are great, sometimes colors so shifted that is impossible to repair just with a WB processing.

I also used for 2 years a Olympus E-520 with severe focus problems, and I got some very nice photos from it, you can also find a E-520 album on my flickr page.

All in all I liked and like the S90, it's just harder to get the results I want. If it was unusable I would not have kept it for so long.

The S100 is great because it just works, delivering superb photos and responding just the way it should.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow