Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elite83
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
DIY: NEX Telephoto tripod lens support arm
Apr 23, 2012

Okay, so I bought my Vivitar 300mm telephoto lens to take some shots of the moon (got a great deal too, only paid $25 for it, mint condition). Then I bought my Sony VCT-R640 tripod. Then, I realized even though I had all the equipment, I still wouldn't be able to do it. My Minolta MD adapter doesn't have a threaded hole for a tripod--so now what? Buy another adapter?

Well, I figured I'd save my money and get creative. We had some steel scrap (mainly just 2 bars, not sure what they are for) and a handle from a cabinet that I had to hammer into a arc shape for the lens. I used JB Weld epoxy to fasten the pieces together, and I used a rotary tool for the cutting and grinding, as well as a drill press for the could holes I had to drill.

The thumb screw that screws into the camera was taken from a old, broken mini tripod. Finally, I gave sanded down the steel and gave it a nice matte black finish and sealed it with some Krylon clear coat. Almost forgot, that rubber gasket type thing holding the tripod thumb screw is actually from an old Erector set.

All in all, I only ended up spending about $3-$4 on the JB Weld epoxy. It came out rather well if I do say so myself.

Pictures:

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow