Different Focusing Screens for Canon 60D?

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Different Focusing Screens for Canon 60D?
In reply to HerbertA, Apr 23, 2012

HerbertA wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading the forums about the D60 and lens options for the past two weeks. I have decided to purchase the body and the EF-S 15-85 mm f.35-5.6 IS USM lens. This seems like the optimal combination for photographing flowers indoors at my kitchen table with a tripod and window lighting plus shooting street and conservatory images of flowers. Of course, I expect to do peiople shots and portraits of groups and friends with this lens. If there is something better, but not more money, please inform me.

The EF-S 15-85 mm lens is an excellent "all purpose lens". For photographing flowers however, you will probably want to blur the background and the relatively slow f/3.5-5.6 aperture of the EF-S 15-85 does not always do this well. Better choices for flower photography would be the EF 50 mm f/1.4 or the very sharp EF-S 60 mm f/2.8 Macro. Neither of these lenses will be good for 'group' photos though and for that I would recommend the EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. This is a very good general purpose, wide angle to short tele lens that comes as a 'kit' lens with the Canon Rebel cameras. Nothing fancy, just good optics and IS (Image Stabilization). Either version I or II will do.

Now, while doing the reading, I have stumbled onto references to different focusing screens for use with the D60. I do not understand this at all. Kindly explain this to me, because I want to make sure that I order the camera body that is right for me and my usage.

The focusing screen that comes with the 60D is designed to be used with Auto-Focus, not Manual Focus. The focusing screens that you have read about are only necessary with wide aperture, MF lenses. Although MF is possible with the 60D, It does not do it very well. You can use the AF 'Focus Confirmation' to assist in MF though, but this is not as convenient as a focusing screen designed for MF. For the types of photography that you describe, it does not sound like MF will be required, and the standard fofusing screen should suffice.

Another thing to consider is that the custom focusing screens can reduce the amount of light which reaches the exposure metering sensor, which is located above the screen. Thus, exposure compensation will be needed for wide apertures.

Many thanks, and my gratitude to all who contribute to the forums that I have read. The help I received and the information provided me is simply wonderful.

I hope that this info was useful. The Canon 60D is an excellent camera! Good luck!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow