Short Track Speed Skating Worlds/Shanghai March 2012

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
reef_wreck
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Short Track Speed Skating Worlds/Shanghai March 2012
In reply to howardruns, Apr 23, 2012

Hi Howard,

Thanks for viewing and the kind comments.

I was not shooting through any glass. This skating venue is not meant for hockey, so there was no glass around the boards. I was sitting in the stands, but as the crowd was somewhat thin, I had some liberty to "choose" my own seat to a certain extent. I was just next to one of the TV cameras, which tend to have some of the best vantage points.

I shot in (Nikon) AF-C mode, and tended to pre-focus on various lane markers and then tried to quickly focus on the face area just as they came up to the marker and keep focusing on the face and shooting, if possible. They are moving very quickly, as you know, so it is a challenge.

It was held in a new world class facility here in Shanghai, so lighting was of a high standard, as I recall.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers.
Michael.

howardruns wrote:

Absolutely beautiful photos.

Did you use A1 servo while tracking the skaters or did you prefocus on a spot and wait for them to arrive?

Were you shooting through the glass?

The arena must have been very well lit. I had a brutal time shooting speed skating using my 70-200mm 2.8 IS, so much so that I tried using an old manual focus Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4. Can you spell blur city?

Beautiful work.

Howard

reef_wreck's gear list:reef_wreck's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow