Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991
Like?
Best Practices in Backpacking....
Apr 23, 2012

So here's my predicament... I got into photography because of traveling, and have grown to love it (travel photography and photography in general). I have a Canon 5DII, which is a (relatively) big camera, and when you add in some extra lenses, becomes quite a bit to backpack around with (especially when you try to fit everything else in there), plus I am an avid trekker. I also have a small M4/3 camera (The E-P3) which is very capable, but delivers noticeably lesser quality files, and doesn't give you the same depth of field options.

Yes, I like both cameras, but I notice the difference in files, which makes me like the E-P3 less (I wonder if I could grow to like it enough if I sold the 5DII...). I am curious, how many of you have done long, backpacker type trips (upwards of 2 months) and what equipment have you carried around? Have you left big cameras at home? It seems counter intuitive not to take your best equipment to the places that are most amazing, and make up the reason you got into photography, no? What habits have you developed to ensure that you don't let photography take over the trip, while at the same time allowing yourself to enjoy your hobby in the best of settings? In other words, what best practices have you come to in terms of gear and photo-ops (please those who have done 1 month + trips especially and/or those who have done long/extended treks as part of those trips...)

Cheers for all your thoughts in advance. I am still looking for the perfect combo and photography practices...

-TBri

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow