Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
good post!
In reply to meland, Apr 23, 2012

meland wrote:

Ferrari_Alex wrote:

I am a 5D MKII used with good L and Zeiss glass. I am very happy with MKII and see not reason going for 3.5M MKIII...

What puzzles me, though is the direction. I started thinking that it is no longer smart to invest in Canon if I am interested in still photography as they are fully into Cinema now, long term. Nikon seems to be the one to take the lead in still, correct?

So probably it will be smart to not make any moves for the next 12-18 months and see how it goes, but it might be that Nikon will really be the one for still photographers.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, analysis of the interest in still photography as a hobby indicates that sadly it is of decreasing interest to the younger generation and that the sector that is interested is ageing fast.

Maybe that is something to do with youtube / iPads / smartphones / whatever but the fact is that Canon can see the majority of their market ending up in a pine box unless they embrace video.

And unfortunately middle aged landscape photographers are hardly likely to become role models for the majority of youngsters who might, given the right encouragement, become interested in stills.

Without video to attract new entrants into photography there is going to be no investment available to support the development of new and improved still equipment. So whilst I am by no means a fan of video, and in fact in all my equipment I have never used it, I can see why Canon (and others) are putting so much effort into video. Without doing so the development stills photograpy will ossify because of lack of income.

But there are many, many people within Canon who love stills, so don't worry. Video is partially a means to an end and it will enable stills to thrive.

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow