Lumix G3, GX1, Fujifilm xpro, Nex7 , or M8

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Viramati
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?
Re: GX1 vs. GXR at ISO 400 Re: Lumix G3, GX1, Fujifilm xpro, Nex7 , or M8
In reply to Einst Stein, Apr 23, 2012

Have recently bought the GXR mainly for use with longer leica lenses (mainly the 135 apo-telyt a notorious pig to focus on the M9). I did a lot of research into the alternatives (NEX7 and 6 etc) and in the end came to the conclusion that this is the best choice as it is the only camera out there apart from leica with a sensor built for M mount lenses. This may not be a problem if you only uses lenses of 35mm or more but any less and you will find problems of vignetting a smearing at the edges in all the others (less so I believe in the NEX 6). The GXR allows you to correct for any vignetting colour shifts in camera and have even been able to set up a preset that corrects these problems on my voigtlander CV12 f5.6 (impressive).

I love the focus checking system they use and tend to use mode 2 most with it set to on/off on the fn2 button

Even though it is only a 12MP sensor that is small by todays standards the files are fantastic and there is no anti aliasing filter which helps.

I find files up to iso 3200 (the maximum) very usable with an almost film like grain similar to the M9 and with little chroma noise.

the EVF is a good and a must in bright light and with telephoto lenses. it doesn't have the resolution of the sony EVF's but is good enough.

It is extremely well built and with its grip and rubber molding fits beautifully in the hand

All in all if you wan't to use leica lenses wider that 35 then I think this is a no brainer
--
David

http://www.dpsampson.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viramati/

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow