Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adam Rogers
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
A simple explanation for D4/D800 delay - major production flaws
Apr 23, 2012

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but it seems pretty obvious to me what's going on. The reason for the scarcity of the D4/D800 could be because of production flaws. I can tell you I was able to get a D800 and it had the AF issues. I chose to return it and not have Nikon try to repair. I know the information on this site is anecdotal and of course those with problems with their cameras are much more vocal than those happily shooting away.

That being said, it seems one very logical explanation for the shortage is that Nikon has recognized some serious production flaws. Without putting a halt to production they could be dealing with massive recalls/repairs not to mention the public relations nightmare. If this was the case, what options would they have? Until they identified the source of the flaws, there would be no upside in telling consumers or retailers. Thus we are all in the dark.. including the biggest retailers on the planet.

It just seems so hard to believe this is just a production capacity issue - if that was the case, Nikon would be forthcoming with the information. Something as simple as "we are flattered by the response and demand for these cameras and as a result we are doing blah blah blah. We are proud that we already shipped xxxx thousands of them and expect to fill most backorders by xx/xx."

I hope I'm wrong.. my twin boys birthday party is next weekend and it would be devastating if they have to look back 30 years from now at their 8 year-old birthday party and see inferior images captured by the lowly D700!!

Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow