Steve Huff returns the Pro due to missing many pictures slow AF

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
miniTO
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Huff: "The Fuji hunted and never really locked on correctly..."
In reply to flaxseedoil1000, Apr 22, 2012

I am sure that it locked focus the question is on what. I can only guess on weather or not he was using the OVF or the EVF. The Fuji does not behave the same in all modes. In some cases the OVF is superior and others the EVF.

Given the scene he was shooting the OVF would not have been the best option. The camera uses contrast detect AF, so basically its going to lock focus on the focal plane with the highest contrast within the focus box. Given that he is trying to focus on a small garbage bin within a large scene the EVF (or given a tripod mount the LCD) with the focus box set to its smallest setting on the bin would have been the best option. The optical viewfinder does not have the option to reduce the focus box as much and it doesn't have as many focus points.

However, the more I look at this picture the more suspect I find it. Why exactly is the exposure so much higher on the Fuji shot then the others? I would guess that the shutter speed is set considerably longer since we know the ISO and the f-stop. Regardless, of weather he used a tripod or not I can't help but look at the image and think that camera shake has occurred. That would explain why nothing in the entire image appears to be in focus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow