D200 and AF 80-200 2.8 ED Push pull 1st version

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: i love that lens..
In reply to Devendra, Apr 22, 2012

Devendra wrote:

I got it off ebay for 350 about 8yrs ago, and even today it is an incredibly sharp cookie at all zoom ranges and even at f2.8

I tried replacing it with a 2ring version, which seems sharp too but somehow I am having second thoughts about it. There is some strange/extra contrast and extra shallow dof that the push pull is giving me along with reliable sharpness. I will keep both until I get the D800E and if the performance is good, I might just let go the 2ring version. I have pretty sturdy hands when shooting, so VR doesn't really appeal to me at 2k more, even though I have encountered quite a few situations when VR would have certainly helped.

Anyway that lens with D200, it is even more magical.. (note the zoom range)

Devendra, great photo with lovely golden tones, I also like the colour from this lens though I have no experience with the 2ring version. There may have been changes in coating, or lens manufacturing after the push pulls, moving to more moulded and automated lens production that was being developed at this period (pure guess work,) but the ais 80-200 2.8 ed that proceeded it cost 4 times more than the ais f4 version, $2,350 1n 1982/5 money according to ken R.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow