Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,147Gear list
Like?
Re: Nicely done...
In reply to botw, Apr 22, 2012

botw wrote:

Fredy Ross wrote:

wonderful shots of your little girl and the bokeh is interesting with your son. Just curious have you also got the kit as I was wondering how it compares. I wonder if for street photography it would be frustrating to have a non-zoom lens. I just went out in twilight with my kit setting it to 50mm and wondered how I would manage with prime lens.
--
fredyr

The kit is not as sharp, but obviously more flexible. For a daytime walk-around, i would take the kit even though I am used to primes. The 50 kills it for portraits, as you would expect.

Thanks for the demonstration! Great results. Looks like a great lens for portraits. The bokeh looks really good in these too.

I have an old 50/1.7 which I occasionally use, and one of the things that I personally am not thrilled about is having the DOF so shallow like with the last photo where one eye is in focus, or one eye and part of a nose, etc., and everything else kind of a blur. Although I think it works in this shot, I wonder what the ideal DOF balance is?

When I'm after portraits, I'll think about using the 50. If I happen to have the kit lens on the camera, I might use that out of convenience if the moment is fleeting (or if I didn't bring the 50 along).
--
Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow