Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maxotics
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
Sigma vs Canon 60D and 5D Experience
Apr 22, 2012

Haven't been here in a while, wanted to give an update on my explorations.

I have a Dp1 and a Dp2s (and a Canon G12). I've wanted a camera with a longer focal length (portrait lens) but same image quality as the Dp2. I had a SD14, which I sold because it wasn't fast enough for the panorama stuff I was doing at the time (probably a mistake, read on).

Someone on this forum, who was "balanced" ;), suggested that I get a full-frame camera if I wanted the same Sigma IQ. I couldn't afford a 5Dmkii, but found a great deal on a Canon 60D (introduced late 2010). A great camera in every way, spectacular video, except it didn't deliver that kind of special 3-dimensionality I get from the Sigmas. So I sold it.

I then found a used 5D for the same price. That camera came out in late 2005. I then found a used Sigma 85mm lens for it. That combination can give me a similar look to the dp2.

What's amazing to me is that a 7 year old full-frame camera will beat a new APS-C sensor camera in IQ. I don't care how many megapixels it has, the look is missing.

I still wonder if how the 5D would compare to the SD15. I sometimes feel the colors are washed out with the 5D. At some point I hope to have both cameras to compare (I have used a SD15 in the past and thought it very nice).

Bottom line, if you want the same IQ as your DP camera and go out of the Sigma line, don't waste your time on anything less than full-frame. Whoever told me that on this forum was spot-on.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon PowerShot G12 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2s Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow