corkpix
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: 60D for first DSLR?
In reply to Chris Upchurch, Apr 22, 2012

Chris Upchurch wrote:

In the past I've taken some with my pint and shoot

No alcohol when you are shooting with either the camera or the gun

(not so much an image quality issue as it is lag and the lack of any ability to take images quickly in succession).

The DSLR will have a very big advantage here.

I'm leaning towards the 60D over the T3i primarily because of it's better burst mode performance.

The T3i is a fine camera, but the 60D burst mode is faster. It also has
a better/faster auto-focus system. Another advantage for the 60D is
a bigger/better/brighter viewfinder.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of more experienced folks here. Given what I want to do, is the 60D a sensible choice?

The 60D would be just about ideal. It is a good performer, although there
is strong competition in the form of the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K5.

Don't underestimate how difficult it will be to shoot video with most DSLRs. The 60D and other Canon DSLRs don't have fast real-time AF while shooting video. This is because the phase-detect AF sensor is blind while the mirror is flipped up for shooting video. You can get spectacularly good video quality, but it requires a fair bit of skill. If still photography is your first priority, the 60D will be a great choice. If video is a priority, you might get better results from a different system. The Sony SLT cameras and the Panasonic mirrorless Micro Four Thirds cameras like the G3 may be a good alternative.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow