Disable AF-point bias on eval. metering 5D mk III??

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AndreeMarkefors
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Disable AF-point bias on eval. metering 5D mk III??
Apr 22, 2012

Coming from a 5D mkII, I was caught a bit off guard when I did an informal corporate portrait shooting and my evaluative metering exposures were all over the place within the same series of shots.

Basically I was alternating between landscape and portrait mode, and depending on how I held the camera, often just moving it a little would change my exposure by 2 stops.

I didn't understand it at the time, but later realized that it was a very strong AF-point bias sometimes targeting a black turtleneck and sometimes metering off the light gray sky.

Normally with my 5D mkII I would exposure compensate on gut feeling on the first few frames, then verify by looking at the histogram, and then I'd be set.

With this AF-point bias I couldn't relax for a second and it distracted me.

Can I switch it off? Can't find anything in the manual or in the menus.

I'm focusing on the back of the camera with AF-ON, and part of the point of this is to separate metering from focus.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow