Disable AF-point bias on eval. metering 5D mk III??

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Disable AF-point bias on eval. metering 5D mk III??
Apr 22, 2012

Coming from a 5D mkII, I was caught a bit off guard when I did an informal corporate portrait shooting and my evaluative metering exposures were all over the place within the same series of shots.

Basically I was alternating between landscape and portrait mode, and depending on how I held the camera, often just moving it a little would change my exposure by 2 stops.

I didn't understand it at the time, but later realized that it was a very strong AF-point bias sometimes targeting a black turtleneck and sometimes metering off the light gray sky.

Normally with my 5D mkII I would exposure compensate on gut feeling on the first few frames, then verify by looking at the histogram, and then I'd be set.

With this AF-point bias I couldn't relax for a second and it distracted me.

Can I switch it off? Can't find anything in the manual or in the menus.

I'm focusing on the back of the camera with AF-ON, and part of the point of this is to separate metering from focus.

AndreeMarkefors's gear list:AndreeMarkefors's gear list
Canon EOS-1D C Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow