G1: A pretty darn good camera!

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gavril Margittai
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
Re: G1: A pretty darn good camera!
In reply to tzf30, Apr 22, 2012

tzf30 wrote:

Released back in 2008 as the very first m4/3 camera ever produced (can you believe that soon it will be its 4th birthday?!?). I bought mine about two years ago. Recently I got the G3 and I am having a real hard time admitting that it's better than my G1. I'm also having a hard time believing all the wonderful reviews it gets. The fact is, when I compare pictures I took with my G1 vs. the G3, the G1 seems to win all the time. I looked at both reviews at imaging-resource and compared high ISO performance between the two models. Even though the G3 supposedly has a much better high ISO performance, the results I saw did not substantiate such a claim. On the contrary. The G3 high ISO images although appear cleaner, they are smudged, lacking detail and resolution when compared to the G1 (noisier) images. Today I was looking at the G1-G3 comparison at DXOMark. The scores? Well, the G3 gets 56 while the G1 get 53...not that far behind considering the 3-year gap between them (in favor of the G3). The only score that the G3 shows a more significant advantage is low-light ISO but I'm not convinced that's indeed the case in real life.

So, my conclusion is that the G1 still is an excellent camera and I'm starting to think about selling my G3. What has your experience been?

You should not be surprised. When coming out with the first m43 Panasonic had to put in the best it could do. Try and win the market. No shabby materials no lousy quality control. The kit lens the G1 came with is still a pretty good lens and now sells for 2x more than the kit lens that followed it.

This is very common in the industry. After a success the next generation is trying to maintain the quality, maybe put in a few new tricks but the main purpose of it is COST REDUCTION. Same with the GF1. Still the best for that form factor and the most expensive of the bunch. The following GF2 GF3 was mainly cost reduction for Panasonic. All these touch screen gizmos, so much cheaper than having a dedicated button.

I have both the G1 and GH1, my daughter uses the G1 most of the time, I use the other one. Have absolutely no intention to upgrade.

I am working on my picture taking skills and when in the mood of spending on equipment I buy lighting stuff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow