Gray market and sticky aperture - Class action suit against Fuji?

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Julie Gelfand
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Gray market and sticky aperture - Class action suit against Fuji?
Apr 22, 2012

I bought my x100 back in September. I use it mostly outdoors in the evening or inside in low light, and love the way it handles low light, so when I encountered the sticky aperture issue, I just struggled with it, thought maybe it was a software issue, and set my camera on manual at high shutter speeds if I did use it in daylight. Finally, last week I went on the forum, and learned what was wrong.

I figured no problem, the warranty will cover it, and I read that Fuji was making the repair quickly. Before I send it I called Fuji service to find out the best procedure for getting it back to them. The rep asked me to read him the serial number, and all I needed was to give him the first three numbers 12M before he told me it was gray market from Australia and not covered under warranty.

I bought it through Amazon. At the time it was difficult to find them because they were in such high demand. I was so hungry for one, that not only did I go with an unfamiliar vendor on Amazon, but I paid $1424 for it! $225 above list! The seller was Big Value, Inc, by the way, so I urge all of you to avoid them. No where in their information did they say this was going to be a gray market camera.

The Fuji rep had two suggestions. I can send it to Australia myself for a warrantied repair, or I can send it back to Big Value and have do something about it. I called Big Value and they said they would have it fixed. They didn't say where, but I assume they have to send it back to Fuji Australia. They said it will take 6-8 weeks. I imagine I won't do much better sending it to Australia on my own, and I'll have to pay for shipping.

So, anyone know if there is any recourse one can take against a company that sells a gray market camera above retail and does not let you know that you won't be getting a USA warranty?

Also - what about Fuji? They should be fixing these cameras, gray market or not. It should a guaranteed fix without question for any camera suffering from it, even cameras that are past warranty, something that will begin happening soon for the first cameras they sold.

I don't want to pay $600, but I also don't want to wait two months to get it back! Anyone else thinking about a class action suit against Fuji for this?

Julie Gelfand
Gelfand-Piper Photography
http://www.gelfandpiper.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow