Why I chose Canon

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ken Ballweg
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I chose Canon
In reply to Guy Lerner, Apr 22, 2012

The simple fact is that people are built to be tribal. Mac v. PC, Arsenal v. Manchester United, Canon v. Nikon: people treat these like survival depends on backing the winner. It doesn't. And "winner" is relative.

I appreciate your reminder that we are working in rarified heights compared to out old film body/lens combinations. As much as I wanted that Rolli or Hasselblad, I was on a Minolta ST budget and stayed that way until my recent retirement resulted in more discretionary funds.

I started Canon based on the Powershot G series, and vowed to stay away for SLRs because I know what my OCD would do in terms of collecting glass. Didn't last long. And the lenses I bought (with careful attention to the off chance I would be able to go full frame someday) have me locked in Canon's ecosystem. I had a windfall that gave me the option to go 5D: thought about the 5D2, but got the 5d3 because I could. And an elegant bit of kit it is proving to be.

I do wish that DPR comments didn't have so many soccer hooligans in the comments section. But that's the internet.

Ken Ballweg's gear list:Ken Ballweg's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow