Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jwang88
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
After using 5D III and Nikon D800
Apr 22, 2012

As a long time 5DII user I am very interested to upgrade to 5DIII but the higher MP Nikon D800 is a very big temptation too. So I rent both cameras from LensRental to tried them out for a few days. The first hand impression is mixed and even making me harder to decide which camera to go. Like many of the comments posted here the AF of the 5D III is excellent and day and night compared to 5DII. I shot a lifestyle model project and had far more keeps (sharp focus) than using 5DII. But the resolution is the same as the 5DII and for some reason I even prefer the older sensor because the image from the new one seems more plastic (waxy) look in details. The LCD is gorgeous but I really don't like the zoom in view button has moved to the left side. I use Live View to focus manually a lot (with Z-finder) so my left hand constantly operates the focusing ring while my right hand to zoom in and out the image on LCD to check the focus. Now I feel handicapped on 5DIII and D800 has the same problem. The sensor on the D800 is much better especially the DR in the shadow area. However the LCD has the ugly greenish hue and washout look, making me hesitate to judge the exposure and color. Also the refresh time is very slow when I use the Live View mode to shoot which I use most of the time. Also I like the Canon lens better after I compared the 70-200 zoom lens (both are the latest top models). The worst part of the D800 is the bad AF. I shot an event with the camera and got many out of focus images. I did the AF fine tune later and it gets better but nothing compare to the 5DIII.

I am heading to Moab tomorrow and going to shoot some landscape photos with the D800 and will post some of them when they are ready. I like to hear some of the actual users opinion on these two cameras.

John

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow