Wideangle for Video.

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Wideangle for Video.
In reply to Rumle, Apr 22, 2012

I purchases a 18-105 VR for video. All my non VR lenses were really jumpy hand held while shooting video.

Rumle wrote:

The Big One wrote:

Rumle wrote:

Hi folks.

Now'a'days I shoot more and more video and ever since the arrival of the D800 even more so. I find my self hungering for a wider lens for video. For stills I rarely if ever need anything wider than 24mm.

Question:

looking for a wider prime/zoom i have so far had peek at the 21mm ZF, 18mm ZF and the 16-35mm f4 nikkor. I tryed them all out for only a short time. and find that... :

21mm real awesome lens, but not soooo much wider than my 24mm nikkor and I think I want one that represents a bigger step towards wide what I already got.

18mm is real nice and for video it seams almost perfect. but harder to focus than the 21mm.

16-35mm would have something going for it if the VR had an actual effect doing video. Does any one know if the VR does help in real life shooting or does it just ruin pannings? Also its a quite physical long, I'd prefer smaller size any day (weight is not important)

Please, if any one is using other wide's let me know.

I am not using lenses quite this wide with VR (I am on DX and don't shoot video much wider than 18mm), but I do find that VR helps video; not as good as a steadycam, but better than you normally get. I find that it helps more for the longer lengths (50mm ish on DX), though. Can't comment on the panning, either.

I have 105mm 70-200mm with VR and I do find that is it helps when filming something steady but as soon as i pan just a little the VR jumps as it is optimized for stills. But I just wanna know if it is the same with wider lenses. When I tested the 16-35 i did not notice the VR to be any different turned off or on, but I do not have any real life use with the lens.

-- hide signature --

--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow