5DIII Light Leak w/Lens - Day time - Exposure Issues !

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Havemeyer
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
5DIII Light Leak w/Lens - Day time - Exposure Issues !
Apr 22, 2012

I did some tests on my 5D III after seeing some exposure issues after shooting the awards ceremonies from my sons deck hockey game. Under the same low lighting I was stationary shooting ISO 6400 at f4. I checked to see I had a decent shutter speed and it was showing 1/125. I realize you will get fluctuations as you zoom but I was seeing changes from rotating my camera without focal length changes from 1/100 down to 1/40.... And I lost a ton of decent shots of the kids....

So after this I wanted to see how bad the exposure issue could be ?
So at around 5pm (with afternoon sun) I went out to see how bad it is...
And confirm that an issue exists beyond testing with NO LENS...And in Low light.

Below is a series of shots taken with me simply looking through the view finder and then moving my head.... I can confirm that the exposure is highly variable as more or less light gets to the back of the camera... See the video of me gradually moving my hand behind the camera and the resulting exposure shift is big

http://youtu.be/ec7mACH2Mpg

Overall I'm NOT a happy camper.. And IMO there is NO firmware that can fix this...

I feel its a BIG mess !!! The camera is just too hard to manage with this type of fluctuation issue Oppps I moved my eye a little bit away from the eye piece now my exposure is off..!!!! ...$3500 for a device that probably has more holes then a piece of swiss cheese...

First shot not looking through view finder AV mode ISO 100 f5
metered and shot at 1/160

Here I just moved my head away from view finder AV mode ISO 100 f5
metered and shot at 1/60

First shot NOT looking through view finder AV mode ISO 100 f5 28mm
metered at 1/250 You can see my shadow and my head slightly off to the side...

Next I just looked through the view finder AV mode ISO 100 f5 28mm
metered and shot at 1/100

Rob Havemeyer's gear list:Rob Havemeyer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow