Would you buy a D3s nowadays?

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
tyb
tyb
Senior MemberPosts: 2,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you buy a D3s nowadays?
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, Apr 22, 2012

As an amateur sport photographer who used D300 --> D700+grip --> D3s, I'd say unless you can't spring for that extra few thousand D4. I tried it and for action shots don't underestimate what slightly faster focus, faster FPS, 18M allowing looser framing with post workflow crop can do for you.

I don't agree that D700 or D3 is close to D3s. The deeper buffer, faster FPS and extra low noise for sports is huge. If you don't push the camera hard for FPS, ISO/low light than D800 without question is a smarter value.

I am waiting for real reviews on focus. In my limited playing the FPS is already apparent afters shooting 40K plus sports frames with the D3s.

Ayrshirephotographer wrote:

Bit of a strange question but, would you buy a D3s (new) nowdays even though it's "only 12MP" and "old" - in reality it's nearly as good as the D4 in alot of ways. It is a stunning camera. I walked buy one in a store today new for a very good price. Was very tempted to stuff the D800 with it's focus issues and preorder waits and buy it but I held off.

Ever since my D700 shutter went a few months back I've waited on this D800, now with all the wait you question your decision sometimes.

-- hide signature --

"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

tyb's gear list:tyb's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow