D800, taxes, online stores, local stores, allocation

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
psandham
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015Gear list
Like?
Re: D800, taxes, online stores, local stores, allocation
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 21, 2012

Biggs23 wrote:

When you buy something online you are legally obligated to pay sales tax. Most people don't because they are okay with tax fraud, but that doesn't change the fact that legally it's still required. There is no loophole, only individuals who cheat taxes.

Careful ..taxes due depend highly on the state in which you reside. I believe some states do not require taxes on internet purchases. For my state, we have a "Use Tax" for internet purchases that is paid yearly and based on the total dollar amount of internet purchases I make in a year. For equipment I use on the business side there is another set of rules.

To imply we may cheat is disingenuous. The smart ones among us use available resources to spend our dollars wisely.

As to the OP's original question, yes, I do go local and touch, then buy on the net. I also buy local sometimes. And used, too. Occasionally I won't buy anything! The OP would have bought from B&H if they had stock of the item in question ~ he only bought local out of convenience.

-- hide signature --

pjs
'Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph
is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk.'
Edward Weston

psandham's gear list:psandham's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow