Chasseur d'images has tested the E-M5 : best mft ever !

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,918Gear list
Like?
Chasseur d'images has tested the E-M5 : best mft ever !
Apr 21, 2012

Chasseur d'images , the French photo amateur magazine had a hands on preview of the E-M5 last month. In the just out May issue they tested the IQ and gave it it's rating : a rather rare five stars (the highest rating). The E-M5 get five stars for possibilities (versatility), four for action photography, five for landscape and five for studio photography.

Concerning IQ , they write that sharpness and resolution are exceptional, from base ISO, up to 800 ISO, due to a weak low pass filter, but at the cost of some slight traces of moiré. At 1600 ISO some low contrasted fine details disappear due to noise reduction. But at 3200, sharpness fall and you can only print up to A4; at 6400, you can still make a print, but not bigger than A5.

Concerning noise they say it is almost absent from 200 to 800 ISO and you can print beautiful very clean A3. They are very elogious, but I don't know how to translate their words in English.

They found the AF to be extremely reactive and think that the E-M5 is now on parr with consumer level SLRs. It is able to get very satisfying results for family pictures, playing children and pets. It is similar to SLRs used by consumers for sport photography. They have almost nothing to criticize, but the humming of the stabilization and of the lens (?) which could disturb videographers.

They also think that the sensor is a real step forward and produces similar results to APSC sensors up to 800 ISO and only slightly less good at 1600 ISO. The only handicap of their smaller photosites resides in the dynamical range which is still somewhat shorter comparatively. But Olympus' answer with the spot highlight and shadows metering modes and auto gradation handles that well.

In conclusion , they are absolutely in love with it. They were sincerely bluffed by the IQ, appreciated the handling, the honorable VF, the good stabilization, the reactivity, the lightness, the manufactured quality of the body and the large choice of lenses.

What they don't like :

• the lack of an external plug for the mic (sema 1 prevents blocks the hotshoe);

• and the lack of GPS.

What the E-M5 does well :

• images : exceptional IQ up to 800 ISO, very good IQ at 1600 ISO.

• stabilization : you gain 5 stops (sic ? I'm not sure they tested that) and it is also good for video

• monitor : big touch LCD, flipping and offering clean and good readability, completed by a VF,

• very nice well finished and weather sealed body.

• full HD video of promising quality, with continuous and fast AF

• very large choice of lenses.

Well, that's it, but reading DPreview you already knew all that of course ! I think that their review was written a little hastily and I'm not sure that they tested the raws. I don't think that they tested the stabilization seriously, nor the video.
--
rrr_hhh

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow